Monday, August 4, 2008

Goodbye Huggies, Hello tighty whities!

Look at this cute bum!
Since Gavin turned two, he has been telling me when he would go the bathroom, then he started to take off his diaper to go potty! This was not so great, so a couple of months ago I bought some underwear to kind of test the water and see how ready he really was. After like two hours I decided it was too much effort and I gave up. Then a week ago last Friday (July 27th) we woke up to realize we had no diapers! Somehow I had slowly used the ones in storage as well and had nothing!
So, I decided this was a great opportunity to try again, given I couldn't resort to diapers. So the training began. The last time I tried to potty train him I used hershey kisses. The problem with this is that Gavin can go pee on demand at any time, even just a little bit. So, he pretty much would pee a little bit every time he wanted a kiss and ended eating so much chocolate he got diarrhea! So, I decided against chocolate. He loves hard candy so I bought jolly ranchers and he did really great, basically going every time I put him on the potty. The problem was, I could tell he wasn't completely empyting his bladder and he wasn't getting the concepts of wiping his bum and washing his hands.
I remembered I had this book "Potty Time" and it is actually one of his favorite book anyway, and at the end it has a sticker chart, so I decided to try this instead of treats. He was thrilled! I think one of the reasons why, is because Brooklyn has a sticker chart for her chores, and he thinks it is so cool, so now he had his OWN chart. After day 5 he was telling me when he had to go potty and I no longer had to ask him. THEN this morning he got up and went potty without even asking me to help him. At church I was nervous to send him to nursery without a pull-up(last week he wore one) but in the middle of primary they called me out because Gavin told them he needed to go! I was so proud :) He does pretty good for 2 years and 4 months.
This is my first time being diaperless in 5 years! Aah...it feels awesome, it kinda makes me think having 1 boy and 1 girl is good.

2 comments:

Amanda M. said...

oh man, potty training is so hard. I am glad to hear that it went well for you.

Laurel said...

New haircut and potty trained!! Enjoy the new found freedom and a Good Job to Gavin. Once my kids were potty trained we had to find bathrooms in all the stores we visited. They loved checking them out!!