
This is the mantra I keep repeating in my mind. Anyone who knows me, will probably tell you how paranoid I am about what's to come, whether it be the "Big One" (earthquake) we've been past due for, or a Nuclear Attack (I'm not kidding), a so-called "dirty bomb," Avian Flu, or Economic collapse. All of these are possibilities and none of them I can prevent. However, I can be prepared. So, that is why since we moved I have been working on food storage, because any one of these things make it hard to survive without having something to sustain you, this includes being out of work. I've heard of so many families who, the husband lost his job and was unemployed for like six months, and they made it because they had a financial reserve, and food storage. Last year I decided I was going to work 2 days a month, and I started a Nurse Consulting job. I pretty much saved most the money I made for an emergency fund. I was so proud of myself, because I really, REALLY, love to shop. Anyhow, Spencer built me these awesome shelves last Saturday in our food storage room, and I canned 72 cans last night at my Mom's church, because they rented the canner from the cannery. So, I'm feeling better prepared. I challenge anyone out there to just set aside 10-15 dollars a week and buy a little extra groceries each week, you'll be surprised what you can accumulate. If you want to know how much your family needs for a one-year supply, google: food storage calculator and it will tell you. Also, my Mom just told me today that you don't have to volunteer at the cannery anymore, you can just go buy stuff, because they want everyone to just get their food storage!!
3 comments:
I am so coming to your house if anything happens....Can I?? You are the best! Someday......
Um...yeah...me too...I want to come to your house! But seriously though, I am s super freak about "what might happen". I sure as heck hope the boys & I can survive on cold cereal, cake mix, top ramen (sans h2o), and popcorn (um...sans the microwave to pop it)...'cause THAT is what we have a crapload of in our pantry:)
My husband and I are getting more into food storage. We just didn't have the space before... I know thats not a good excuse but its the only one I got!
I have to say that I am slacking when it comes to you though.
Post a Comment