Sunday, April 19, 2009

Spring Break in Moab


This past week was Spring Break, so we went down to Moab with our friends the Larson's to camp. The weather was mostly cooperative, but pretty windy. Hiking was good though because even though it was cooler you were working up a sweat, so it didn't feel as cold. The first day we went and hiked to delicate arch. I had no idea how ginormous it was! I have to say too, that I think I'm really afraid of heights, once you are up there there are huge cliffs all the way around you. The Larson kids were calling it "rainbow rock," because of its shape. So of course Brooklyn was really excited to see a rainbow. Unfortunately once we saw it she was not convinced it was like a rainbow at all because "where are all the colors?" I tried to explain the shape of it was similar to a rainbow but she was like forget it mom, I don't agree.
Earlier that day Melissa and I took our kids on a little 2-mile hike by where we were camping. We camped at Ken's Lake right out of the city of Moab and they had some falls and little trails so we took the kids. Not so easy with Gavin who said he was tired three steps away from our trailer and wanted me to hold him. Then he slipped on some slickrock and Melissa fortunately grabbed him before he fell into a little stream, but not before his shoe fell off into it. Luckily she saved the day when she retrieved his shoe that got caught on a stick, so it didn't go down stream!



On Friday we drove into Canyonlands and the boys dropped Melissa and I, and her two oldest boys Cameron and Conner, off with our mountain bikes and we biked to Gemini bridge which is a huge bridge with major cliffs on either side. After we hiked over to that we hopped back onto our bikes and biked probably another hour and a half through slickrock, sand and steep hills! I haven't mountain biked lately so it made me a little tense. At the end Greg said there was a "little hill." Uh, not exactly...it was a big, looong, hill! But I already no what is little to Greg is pretty much huge to me, so I should have known better. It was still a lot of fun, especially to mountain bike, even if I couldn't remember how to shift the first half, road bikes are soooo much easier to shift! After the ride we took the kids to a sandhill that was huge and so much fun. Melissa and I were dying climbing it with our kids our calves were on fire!! Too fun though, for the kids and us!!

Saturday we went over to slickrock and the Larson's two oldest boys did the practice loop while we hiked around with the little kids. Our kids had a blast! Later we took them to Lake and let them throw rocks in the water! All in all a great vacation.

No comments: