On June 30th, our stake traveled up American Fork Canyon up past Cascade Springs to a place called Little Deer Creek. This is where our trek began. We had five companies, orange, yellow, red, green and blue. Each company had five families of approximately 12 people, and each family had a handcart. So, we had 25 handcarts trekking up the mountain. Spencer was a Captain of 50 over the orange company and I was a nurse on the medical team with Dr. Ashby, so I was kind of a floater helping out where necessary. I was not very familiar with many in our stake, since we have only lived here about a year and a half, but the stake leaders were all part of our own stake family. It was so awesome, probably one of the most testimony building experiences I have ever had, mostly because it was really hard. More than I think I could have imagined. I have been running around 5 miles a day for the last month, and before that I worked out at the gym on a regular basis. Some of the challenges were that we were heavily clothed, long sleeves, aprons, bonnets, etc., and the crazy thing is our clothing was way more lightweight than the pioneers! It was definitely hot out as well and the first two days were entirely up hill. It made me appreciate my pioneer ancestors on a whole new level. I definitely take for granted the luxurious I enjoy daily. It also made me realize how little they were able to take with them. The kids each had a 5 gallon bucket and then sleeping gear. They had to pack all of this on their carts along with tents, a water and food cooler. I felt the spirit touch my heart so many times during the trek as I imagined those amazing pioneers trekking west. At one point there was a large hill and they had only the women pull. It was symbolic of when the men had to leave for the Mormon Battalion and the women were left alone to pull the handcarts. They had me participate in this with the Lindstrom family. The girls in this family were amazing. As I and the Ma of their family took the yolk of the handcart, the rest pushed and I felt as if it took little effort at all. Even though it was for a short time it was great for me to experience this. I really appreciate all the effort that the stake leaders put into this event to make it extraordinary for everyone who attended. I would say it gave me the change that I needed in my life.
I also had a hiccup the second day with my contacts, so I had to wear my glasses for the duration, thanks goodness I brought them as a backup, but how seriously brutal do I look!
One of the youth challenged Spencer to a stick pull, he may be hold but he is still strong!
4 comments:
was that so much fun or what?? how did your kids do without you?
You guys make a cute little Pioneer couple! Brian and I went on one of those when I was pregnant with Easton, they are great experiences for those youth.
I love your new family picture!
Nani, they didn't even want me to pick them up, so sad, Grandma's waaay to much fun I guess.
cUtE! Your family pic's turned out so well! I love them!!!! P.s. You guys are cute "trek" people!
Post a Comment