Monday, August 31, 2009

Fruits of our Labors


I haven't done a garden for a few years, but this year I was determined to, so my lovely husband worked hard to get some soil and dumped it into our spot, then our wonderful neighbor brought over his tractor and tilled it for us. Spencer put in some drip lines and I planted it. I was so excited, the plants looked great until...the squirrels came! Our neighbors have a shed right on our property line, right next to our garden and underneath it a momma squirrel had babies this spring...8 to be exact. So, they wreaked havoc on my garden. They ate all the cucumber plants, zucchini plants and pumpkin plants. I replanted some of them but they were way delayed. Then as my tomatoes started coming on they started to steal them too! We tried all kinds of repellents and even gas bombed their hole, nothing worked. Desperate times call for desperate measures and I read somewhere if they feel threatened (like are shot at) they will move their home. So, I bought Spencer a pellet gun and after shooting after them a couple of times ( none were killed btw), they left! Sadly they moved across the street to our neighbors and are driving them crazy now. It was a good learning experience and my garden did somewhat survive. This picture was taken in July when I got my first few vegetables, now I have tomatoes coming out my eyeballs! If anyone wants some feel free to come get as much as you like.

No comments: