Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Motherhood Guilt

I think as mothers we tend to want to do it all, to be amazing women that have the perfect kept house, well-behaved children, participate in all kinds of extra-curricular things with our children, and on and on.
I know that is what I think I need to be sometimes. Over the last year and a half I have struggled with fatigue and it really hampers my goals! I have mile long lists that are maybe 5% accomplished and I get so down on myself. The one day every 100 days that I accomplish everything on my list I feel such satisfaction and think, "if I did it today, why not every day?" Of course this is not realistic and every day holds different challenges. One day Gavin wants me to play with him more than usual, or work calls and I need to go in to take care of business, or I'm just so darn tired I can barely leave the couch.
All of these things lead to a guilt that I hold wishing that I could be more and wondering what it is that is holding me back. I see lots of mothers that seem to have it all together and while I am only peering in from the outside it seems perfect to me.
Its funny, while I am at my worst right now with my all day pregnancy sickness, having cleaners come once a week and literally doing the minimal things in my life, I realize how much I actually did do before now.
Spencer has suddenly decided we need to downsize because our house is too hard to keep clean! Interestingly enough it was never too big when I did all the cleaning and he just had to mow the lawn on his riding lawnmower...for half the year! I love my husband and he really has probably cleaned more than he ever has our entire married life, but come on!
With all this said I read the MMB yesterday and there was a really great post about this same thing I've been struggling with. The author lists some great things that Sister Julie Beck told her about it. Read about it here , it is worth your time.

1 comment:

MVP Family said...

This is so true! I watched this funny Oprah once and it was all about motherhood and hard we are on ourselves. The women on the show were saying how we set these high expectations for ourselves and when we don't meet them we feel like failures, but they were impossible expections in the first place. love this post and how it really relates to motherhood!