Monday, February 25, 2008

The Longest Ride...EVER!

Well, this past weekend, Spencer and I went down with our friends the Larsons to St. George,to do the Zion's Early Spring Century. This event is a road biking event, and we signed up to do the century which is 100 miles. Since it is still winter the only training we have had since our last century in October, was on our bike trainers. This is basically putting your bike on this machine in your house and riding. I felt like I put in a good effort riding three days a week for the past 6 or 7 weeks, but I guess not enough. Last year, I did three centuries with my friend Melissa Larson, and by the last one I felt pretty good about my capabilities. I wasn't so sure though after the winter break. Well it was pretty brutal, my hands and feet were frozen the majority of the time, which just added to the misery. When I finally made it to lunch, I was dead! The worst part about it was that I was only halfway finished! After lunch Melissa and I headed off before our husbands, because we were actually supposed to go 2 1/2 more miles up the road and then turn around, but we opted out of that! I felt pretty energized and it was mostly downhill from lunch for awhile, but eventually I wore down again. A little background info, Melissa and I both have this same problem. Sometimes our leg dislocates out of our hip, mine is the right leg, hers is the left. Her doctor said it is due to childbirth, causing your hip joints to become so limber that they easily slide out of place. Anyway, Melissa had been having some hip pain on the ride, and started putting pressure on her knee to compensate. So, around mile eighty she was in so much pain she couldn't push any longer, and so I being so grateful and ecstatic to have someone to quite with, I did just that I QUIT! No remorse, regret, disappointment, no, just RELIEF! We had our husbands book it home, while we climbed our final hill to the last rest stop and then laid on the grass until they could come pick us up. Our total mileage was 86 miles, and it was the longest 86 miles I have ever ridden. I am glad it is over!

2 comments:

Laurel said...

86 miles is still a great accomplishment!!! Like I said, I can't make it up this little hill. Great job!!

Heather said...

Way to go Amberlie! That's a great accomplishment and you have every reason to be proud! You go girl!