Saturday, July 5, 2008

A 4th of July to Remember...

Well, this year our 4th of July was one to remember...or not. The 4th of July is probably my favorite holiday. I have always loved it, and look forward to it every year. We fight the crowds every year (much to Spencer's dismay) to watch the Freedom Festival's Grand Parade. In years past Spencer and I have ran the 10k, but not this year. Anyway we watched the parade it was perfect weather, plus we had shade, which doesn't hurt. My kids love parades, especially Brooklyn, so it was an enjoyable time.
After the parade my family decided to go boating. I haven't been boating in a long time, because I've had little ones, but we decided to give it a try. My sisters were doing some wakeboarding, and were pooped, so they told Spencer it was his turn. Spencer is good at really anything he tries, and has wakeboarded before. Unfortunately, he was trying to be a little too tricky, because next thing we knew he was down and YELLING! At first I thought he just hit the water a little too hard, so I was kinda laughing at the way he was freaking out. Then I realized he was really hurt. We all kind of stood there panicking not knowing what too do, because he could not get his feet out of the wakeboard. Luckily my brother-in-law Chris (a seasoned wakeboarder) dove right in, got Spencer's feet out, and swam him into the boat.
Immediately upon looking at Spencer's leg, I knew it wasn't good, he couldn't move his right leg, and then it was turning purple and starting to swell. My parents drove us into the harbor, and I took him to the ER.
In the ER they did XR's and found fractures, but they couldn't determine the extent, so we then did a CT scan. Which revealed a tib/fib avulsion fracture, which basically means, his gastrocnemius(large calf muscle) pulled the tops of his two bones from the lower leg (tibia & fibula) off! Not good! So, they put on a soft cast and this week he'll see an orthopedic surgeon, to determine whether they are going to do surgery and pin it or try to let it heal on its own.
Spencer, however, was such a good sport and still wanted to go to my family's BBQ (mostly because he WAS starving and the oreos and lornadoone's from the ER just weren't cutting it!) then he still went with us to the Jr. High to watch the fireworks, what a guy, I sure love him! We still had fun, and it was kinda nice being in the ER for three hours by ourselves without the kids, Spencer told the nurse it was our date night, and she said "this is a pretty expensive date!" I agreed, our deductible is $100, and we could have had a pretty nice dinner for that! Hopefully it will be a short recovery Spencer is not too good at sitting around :)


Ashlyn, Gavin, Brooklyn, Mom tubing!


Alyssa, Gavin, Dad, & Brooklyn



Gavin hitching a ride on my Mom's cooler after the parade

Gavin, look at that mischevious smile!



Brooklyn & Ash


Spencer trying to get some relief



This is the lame pic of Spence in the hospital from my Blackberry, because I can't get my pictures off of it(anyone know how?)

6 comments:

Laurel said...

Poor Spencer. I hope he heals quickly for you. Now you can both take naps together. You can just send your picture in an email to your home address. At least that's what I do.

Kizzy said...

Oh No poor guy! hope he has a quick recovery. atleast you still got to enjoy most of your favorite holiday! what a good sport!

Kizzy said...

letting you know i changed my address to garretts5.blogspot.com

brooke said...

Holy Moly... that is not a fun day at the lake. That is no fun for you guys...oh yeah 100 bucks might be a pretty rockin date, but to get out of the ER only owing 100, thats cheap!

The Laidlaws said...

Ryan told me about this, I am so sorry! I hope Spencer's recovery goes as well as possible! If there's anything we can do for you guys please let us know. =)

Heather said...

I'm sorry to hear about Spencer! That sucks! I've been complaining to Justin that he never skiis when we go boating....maybe I should just be content with letting him sit and watch. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!