Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Curiosity of a 4-year-old...and some wise advice


So, one of the things I wasn't looking forward to explaining to Gavin was the whole breastfeeding thing. Not because I am embarrassed or think he shouldn't know, but mostly because his little mind comes up with the craziest ideas and misinterpretations and then he tells the whole world! So I wasn't quite sure how to really explain it. I made a nursing cover specifically for home so I wouldn't have to lock myself in my room every couple hours, here is how the first interaction went:
Gavin: "what is the baby doing?"
Me: "eating"
Gavin: "what is he eating?"
Me: "milk"
Gavin: "where is he getting it from?"
Me: "my body"(notice my simple answers hoping I can suffice him and he'll let it go for a while)
Gavin "Is there a STRAW under there??!!"

I now have begun saying things my mother said to me and now Gavin is saying things I say to him.

My iPod wasn't working very well (no less as a result of Gavin spilling water on it) and so I wasn't going to let Gavin play any games on it. I told him he couldn't play one of the games on it because it was broken, to that he said to me (in a very matter of fact tone) "Mom, you better start takin' better care of your stuff.." And to him I wanted to say, and that involves not letting you touch it!

This morning I was comatose in bed due to sleep deprivation and Gavin wanted some breakfast, I kept telling him in a few more minutes, finally he came and got in bed with me and I told him I was really tired, he said "Mom, you need to go to bed earlier!"

1 comment:

Canesa said...

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious! The straw cracked me up! Gotta love toddlers!