Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A Bad Day for Cyclists

Well, as it warms up after the long winter, the cyclists out there get excited to get out on the road and experience more than just a ride on the "trainer" down in the basement. Saturday was that day for my friends and I. It was supposed to be snowing and cold, but actually the sun was shining and it was a pretty nice day. So, I and my friends Melissa and Jen, headed out to Utah Lake to do a quick loop. As we approached the Lindon dump, there were several trucks and trailers there. As we arrived at the intersection a trailer was blocking the intersection. It was a 2-way and we had the right of way, but we slowed way down because of all the traffic. As Melissa entered the intersection suddenly a truck pulled right out in front of us and broadsided Melissa, I saw her fly and freaked out, but before I could do anything, I slammed the side of the truck and flipped over the corner or the truck landing on the asphalt on the road. At first I could not breathe, because it knocked the wind out of me, so being a nurse I started to over-analyze everything that I was feeling. But, once I got up and realized I could walk I felt better. I rushed over to Melissa, who was kneeling on the road saying she was fine. However, the more time that passed the more pain she was in. We ended up calling an ambulance to check her out further. In the end I took her to the clinic for x-rays and she has a fractured humerus. I and Jen ended up with some good bruises. I have a large one about the size of a cantaloupe bruise on the top on my thigh and one about the size of a baseball on the back of my calf. My hand is bruised and I had a pretty stiff neck the next day. I was so glad we always wear helmets, because my helmet was cracked, and had I not been wearing one well...who knows. I just couldn't believe though, that all three of us got hit! It was a bummer day, all our bikes were totaled.It is kinda of hard to tell but my tire is totally bent to the left. :(

6 comments:

Laurel said...

I am so glad you all are ok. That is so scary. Let me know if you need any help with kids or such. I'm available.
Laurel

The Laidlaws said...

That is really scary, I'm glad none of you got injured more seriously! Hope you and your friends are doing alright! If you need anything please let us know!

brooke said...

What in the world! Did the truck driver even stop? I am proud of you for wearing a helmet, I am inspired now, I really need to be better about it.

mandamike said...

I am glad that you are ok...geesh that is so scary, good thing you were wearing a helmet.
Amanda

Brooke said...

Melissa called to tell me and I was totally shocked! Can't believe it! Can't believe she keeps saying she's fine! Sorry to hear about your accident and hope you're feeling better. Good thing for those helmets.

Heather said...

Amberlie that is awful! I'm glad that you gals are okay though. It sounds like you had heavenly angels watching over you. Let me know if you need anything.